The capacity of the tiny grandstand never exceeded 7,500. It served as the home of the White Sox until June 27, 1910 when the club vacated the park for Comiskey Park at 35th Street and Shields. The grounds were leased to John Schorling, a South Side saloon keeper who owned the American Giants Negro League team.
The park served as the home of Chicago's Negro League teams until the park was demolished in the late 1940s to make way for a public housing project.
The park was designed by architect Zachary Taylor Davis with help from Comiskey and pitcher Ed Walsh. Comiskey Park featured spacious dimensions (362 feet down each line and 420 feet to straight-away center field). Before the 1927 season, the park was enclosed by a double-decked outfield grandstand. On August 14, 1939, the first night game in Chicago was played at Comiskey Park, with the Sox defeating the St. Louis Browns, 5-2.
The first large center field scoreboard was built in 1950 and lasted until replaced by Bill Veeck's exploding version in 1960. In 1982, a new scoreboard, complete with color video board, was constructed along with new Golden Box seats, dugouts and a level of luxury sky suites.
The White Sox played their final campaign at old Comiskey Park in 1990. The festive final weekend of the old stadium was capped by a 2-1 Sox victory over Seattle in the final game on September 30, 1990.