DETROIT -- Freddy Garcia left Tuesday's start against Detroit after two innings due to a stiff lower back. The right-hander gave up three hits, including Johnny Damon's two-run homer in the first, before being replaced by Lucas Harrell in the third inning of the White Sox 9-1 loss.
His status for his next scheduled start hasn't been determined.
Garcia left his last start in Cleveland on Sept. 1 with the same lower back stiffness, working just four innings in a no-decision against the Indians. Having this same problem pop up in two consecutive starts is a concern to Garcia and the White Sox, although Garcia didn't see any trouble signs leading up to Tuesday's outing.
"Today, I felt very good [before the game]," Garcia said. "But I don't know what happened. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Maybe [I'll take] a couple days off and [not] do anything."
Whenever Garcia lands with his left foot on delivery, he feels the pinching in his back. It's the same feeling when he leans forward.
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen had no plans for a starter this Sunday against the Royals other than Garcia, who is coming off of a rough month of August during which he posted a 1-1 record with a 5.53 ERA in five starts. Garcia has a 2-3 mark with a 5.85 ERA since the All-Star break.
But Guillen does have backup plans in the form of September callups such as Harrell and Carlos Torres.
"We have to be very, very careful with it," Guillen said. "We have people for Sunday just in case he can't go, but I have to see how he feels the next couple of days. I'm not saying, 'Well he's not pitching on Sunday,' and then all of a sudden you see him on the mound. It's not worth that right now.
"When Freddy says something is sore or something is stiff, you better look at him twice because he's not the type of guy that will take himself out of the game just because. That's why I'm kind of concerned a little bit more, because coming from Freddy, I know he couldn't tolerate the pain."
Teahen confident in abilities at third base
DETROIT -- During the end of Mark Teahen's run with the Royals, he expected to play every day even if he wasn't starting.
"It is kind of funny, because when I was with the Royals, if I didn't start, they put me in late to play defense in the outfield or at third base," said Teahen with a smile.
Teahen has gone from a Kansas City staple and a capable defensive replacement, if needed, to the White Sox starting third baseman at the start of 2010 to presently a super-sub for one of the hottest teams in baseball. Along the way, Teahen's defense at third base has been tagged as a liability.
That particular characterization isn't exactly fair to Teahen. His work with the glove, which had its rough spots at the season's outset, is being compared to one of the great all-time infield glove men in Omar Vizquel, for starters. But Teahen doesn't have doubts in his ability to handle that position.
"I played [lousy] in the field early in the season," Teahen said. "I understand that. At the same time, I know the job I can do out there. The more opportunities I get, I'll be able to gain more confidence from people around here."
One of those chances to build confidence came during Tuesday's contest against the Tigers at Comerica Park. Gordon Beckham was scratched with an irritated right hand, Vizquel was moved to second base and Teahen started at third.
His only focus lies with helping the White Sox complete this 2010 comeback. With two years and approximately $10.3 million remaining on Teahen's three-year deal, he has time to figure out his future role on the South Side of Chicago.
"In a different situation, yeah, I might stress about that," said Teahen of his future with the White Sox. "Right now, when I get put in there, I try to do my job [now and will] worry about next year, next year.
"From this point last year until now, a lot has happened in between there. It's been a strange year, good in a lot of ways and an aggravating year in a lot of ways not being in there. Everything is worth it if we can make the playoffs ... even being in the playoff chase for me is a big deal. I'm enjoying it."
Konerko needs another day out of lineup
DETROIT -- The 4-for-34 career numbers for Paul Konerko against Detroit starter Justin Verlander did not keep the White Sox first baseman out of Tuesday's starting lineup.
Manager Ozzie Guillen wanted to err on the side of caution by giving the American League Most Valuable Player candidate one more day to rest his stiff lower back.
"PK is fine, he's better," said Guillen of his captain, who missed Monday's series opener. "Hopefully tomorrow we put him back in the lineup. He feels a lot better. But he wasn't ready."
Hurler Putz itching to rejoin White Sox
DETROIT -- J.J. Putz told MLB.com on Saturday in Boston how he fully expected his sore right knee to be ready to return to action this Thursday, when he is eligible to come off the disabled list.
That target hasn't changed, with Putz's side workouts having him prepared to rejoin the back end of the White Sox bullpen.
"Everything's good to go for Thursday," Putz said. "I feel really good. I've had three really good bullpen sessions over the last week and everything seems sound."
When asked if it has been hard to watch the White Sox during this inactive period, Putz said he has fought boredom since he can't do anything. But he certainly has enjoyed the team's success.
"It's been fun to watch," Putz said. "We've been winning."
Viciedo, Torres join White Sox
DETROIT -- With Triple-A Charlotte's season coming to an end on Monday, infielder Dayan Viciedo and right-handed pitcher Carlos Torres were recalled by the White Sox prior to Tuesday's game in Detroit. The moves increased the White Sox active roster to 32 players.
Viciedo, 21, hit .268 with three home runs and seven RBIs in 27 games during an earlier stint this season with the White Sox. He will serve as insurance at third base in case Omar Vizquel has to move to second due to Gordon Beckham's hand injury. Viciedo could share time with Mark Teahen and Brent Morel, who is known for his strong defense at the hot corner.
Viciedo, 21, batted .274 with 20 home runs and 47 RBI in 86 games with Charlotte this season.
Torres, 27, started primarily for Charlotte but will work out of the bullpen for Ozzie Guillen.
Torres went 9-9 with a 3.42 ERA with 140 strikeouts and a .217 batting average against in 160 1/3 innings for Charlotte this season. He was third in the International League in strikeouts and innings pitched and sixth in ERA. He was MLB.com's 2009 Triple-A Starting Pitcher of the Year and was a midseason All-Star this season.
Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.