TORONTO -- The White Sox have dodged a bullet with second baseman Gordon Beckham, who will miss just a day or two after being struck under the left eye by a relay throw.
The incident happened in the third inning of Friday's 4-2 loss to the Blue Jays, when Alex Rios' relay from center field took a high hop behind second and hit Beckham in the face. Beckham labored on the field momentarily before leaving the game and going to hospital with the team's head athletic trainer, Herm Schneider, for X-rays.
The results of the X-rays were negative, and now the team will just wait for the swelling to go down around Beckham's eye before he can rejoin the lineup.
"I feel fine, other than the bruise. The bruise is the only thing that hurts," Beckham, who is sporting a black eye, said on Saturday. "I can see fine. I think that once the swelling goes down, I'll be back in there. I don't know if that's [Sunday] or Monday."
Beckham continued to receive treatment on Saturday morning in order to relieve some of the swelling that is preventing him from fully opening his injured eye. He said he hopes to take batting practice and maybe even play on Sunday, but Monday might be a more realistic target.
Regardless of when he comes back, Beckham is thankful the injury wasn't worse, considering where the ball hit him.
"It's always good to know that your eye is okay, because that goes beyond baseball, obviously," Beckham said. "You want to be able to see."
There were a number of factors that contributed to the freak accident, one of them being the playing surface in Toronto. Beckham is used to receiving relay throws on the grass at US Cellular field in Chicago, but doesn't have much experience dealing with turf surfaces like the one at Rogers Centre.
The second baseman thought the ball may have caught a seam in the turf that caused it to take a high bounce over his glove.
"It's a combination of the turf and the way that the ball came in," Beckham said. "When you play on grass and dirt the whole time, you think it's going to be a certain spot, and you get on this turf and it bounces a little more."
White Sox bullpen to determine rotation's future
TORONTO -- As White Sox starting pitchers continue to turn in solid performances on an almost daily basis, manager Ozzie Guillen is left with a difficult decision to make regarding his team's six-man rotation.
The team decided to go with the six-man staff on May 11 when Jake Peavy was added to the rotation. Since then, White Sox starting pitchers are 6-5 with a 3.33 ERA and have turned in quality starts in 11 of the 16 games the team has played.
"Right now, we're a little confused," Guillen said with a laugh, when asked what he was going to do with his rotation. "Right now, it's a tough decision, because we like our arms and we like the guys we have."
Guillen said the team was worried about the toll the six-man rotation was taking on the White Sox bullpen, which currently holds just six pitchers, including just three right-handers, which are Guillen's central concern.
With Sergio Santos taking over as the team's closer and Tony Pena struggling, much of the burden has fallen on Jesse Crain to be the team's primary right-handed reliever.
The 29-year-old has appeared in six of the team's past 13 games and leads all White Sox relievers with 12 innings pitched over the past 30 days.
"My worry is how much Crain is going to work," Guillen said. "It's not fair for Crain to carry the load."
Tony Pena's struggles in relief have compounded the White Sox bullpen predicament. Pena has a 6.20 ERA in 20 1/3 innings this year and has given up earned runs in eight of his 17 appearances.
Guillen said that, at this point, he considers Pena for work almost exclusively in situations in which the team is trailing. Guillen wants to see a better performance from Pena before he's inserted into high-pressure situations.
"If Pena goes out there and does what we think he should do, then I don't mind staying with the six-man rotation," Guillen said. "Hopefully, Pena comes out and starts doing a better job."
But even with Pena struggling and Crain bearing a heavy load, the White Sox aren't poised to make a change to their rotation. That is, unless they change their minds tomorrow.
"We still talk about it every day. Every day we change our minds," Guillen said. "All of the ideas we have are good ideas, but it's not anything [imminent.]"
Alomar pays visit to White Sox clubhouse
TORONTO -- Hall of famer and former Blue Jays second baseman Roberto Alomar made an appearance in the White Sox clubhouse before Saturday's game, talking at length with Ozzie Guillen and several White Sox players.
Alomar and Guillen played against each other in the late 1980s and throughout the '90s, as Guillen played shortstop for the White Sox and Alomar patrolled second base for the Blue Jays and Orioles.
"To me, he was one of the best players to ever play the game," Guillen said. "The guy could beat you in so many different ways on the field, it was amazing. I had the opportunity to play against him, and I never saw anybody who was better than him."
Alomar was an American League All-Star for 12 consecutive seasons and won 10 Gold Gloves. He also won two World Series championsips with the Blue Jays in 1992 and '93.
Guillen said he wanted some of his players to get to rub shoulders with a Hall of Famer and learn from some of the wisdom Alomar picked up over his 17 seasons.
"It's a privilege to have this man -- a Hall-of-Famer -- come down and say hi to you," Guillen said. "A lot of players forget who played this game before them. ... A lot of players don't even know who is or isn't a Hall of Famer. That's a shame."
Utility man Mark Teahen will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte on Saturday tonight, as he continues to work his way back from a right oblique strain. Teahen will see action at third base and in the outfield before he rejoins the White Sox, possibly during the team's three-game series next week in Boston.
Adam Dunn had one of the rarer back-to-back games in baseball this week, as he walked in all four of his plate appearances on Friday night after going 0-for-4 with four strikeouts on Thursday. Accord to Elias, Dunn is the first player to accomplish the feat since 1968, when Dick Allen did it for the Phillies.
Juan Pierre took a 12-game hitting streak into Saturday afternoon's game, which ties him for the longest current streak in the American League. He's hitting .373 over that span with three doubles, a triple and three RBIs. He's raised his average from .242 to .275 during the streak.
Arden Zwelling is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.