CHICAGO -- Fresh off his award-winning week in the Pacific Coast League, the newest Royals infielder now has another chance to make a mark at the Major League level.
Tony Abreu, a 27-year-old infielder with his third organization, had his contract selected from Triple-A Omaha on Monday to replace Yuniesky Betancourt, who was designated for assignment Sunday.
Abreu hit eighth and started at third base in Monday's series opener against the White Sox. He went 1-for-3 with a double in the Royals' 4-2 loss. He was out at the plate in the eighth inning on a failed safety squeeze bunt.
Abreu, who was named the PCL's Player of the Week on Monday, was hitting .322 with nine home runs, 73 RBIs and 36 doubles in 103 games for the Storm Chasers. He is a career .312 hitter in nine Minor League seasons.
He last played in the Majors in 2010, hitting .233 in 81 games with the D-backs after spending the bulk of his professional career with the Dodgers.
Royals manager Ned Yost said he's received good reports on Abreu and the club wanted to look at Abreu instead of Irving Falu, a similar player who has appeared in 15 games with the Royals this season.
"[Abreu's] swinging the bat very, very well. He can play all three infield positions -- third, short and second -- switch-hitter. Really swing the bat good right-handed," Yost said. "Irving's been up two or three times already, we've got a pretty good idea what we have in him, and now we want to get a better grasp on what we have with Abreu at the big league level. When we move forward next year, we'll have a better idea of what we want to do."
Moustakas sits against lefty Sale
CHICAGO -- Mike Moustakas sat for the third time in the last four games Monday, as Royals manager Ned Yost opted to give the young third baseman's bruised right knee another day of rest.
Moustakas originally injured his knee last weekend in Seattle before again banging it during a game late last week against Cleveland.
Yost said Moustakas could play, but the manager decided to give the left-handed-hitting Moustakas another day off against White Sox All-Star left-hander Chris Sale.
"It's a bone contusion in his knee and the more time we can give him, the better off he's going to be," Yost said. "Against a tough left-hander again today, it's a good opportunity to give him a break."
Yost said Moustakas "will be in there [Tuesday] for sure," but said it was too early to speculate whether Moustakas would start Wednesday against White Sox lefty Jose Quintana.
Yost delivers message during pregame meeting
CHICAGO -- One day after manager Ned Yost voiced displeasure in the "losing culture" in Kansas City, the Royals held a closed-door meeting prior to Monday's series opener against the White Sox.
The visiting clubhouse at U.S. Cellular Field didn't open until about 4 p.m. CT, approximately 20 minutes late.
Yost said he wouldn't disclose what was said in the meeting.
"It's a meeting between us," Yost said. "Like I always tell you: If I wanted you guys to be part of it, I'd have invited you."
On Sunday, when the team designated infielder Yuniesky Betancourt for assignment in part because he was upset about his lack of playing time, Yost spoke to reporters about the team's mission of changing the franchise's mindset.
"We have been living in a losing culture here for many years. We cannot get over the hump. And in order for us to get over the hump, we have to have 25 guys who are solely invested in one goal, and that's turning this organization around to become a champion. That's it," Yost said Sunday.
"It's not about, 'How much do I play?' It's not about, 'Do I have a job?' This is about 25 guys with one goal: That we're going out to try to win this baseball game tonight, and you have that goal night in, night out. And if you've got anybody else that is not on page with that, we will never change our culture. It's about 25 guys who respect each other, 25 guys that have the same common goal. That's how we're going to turn this losing culture into a winning culture."
Center fielder Lorenzo Cain entered Monday with a six-game hitting streak, but he went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in the Royals' 4-2 loss. He batted .400 (10-for-25) during his streak.
The Royals entered Monday with 16 stolen bases in their last seven games, the most in the Majors during that span.