Pirates Press Release
Pirates Homestand Highlights Monday, April 1 - Thursday, April 4, 2013
Pirates open the 2013 season at PNC Park
For the second consecutive year, the Pittsburgh Pirates will open their season at PNC Park. The team begins the 2013 campaign with a three-game series vs. National League Central rivals, the Chicago Cubs prior to departing on a six-game road trip. The three-game series is highlighted by Opening Day festivities in and around PNC Park on Monday, April 1, Buc Night on Wednesday, April 3 and Lunch with the Bucs on Thursday, April 4.
Sunday, March 31, 2013—Pre-season Workout (1 p.m.)
- Pirates Workout: From 1 to 3 p.m. the Pirates first workout of 2013 at PNC Park will be open FREE to the public. The Legacy Square Gates (located in left field off General Robinson Street) will open to the general public beginning at 12:30 p.m. Sections one to 138 will be accessible for fans to view the home team’s batting practice and fielding drills and select concession stands will be open.
Monday, April 1, 2013—Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs (1:35 p.m.) Opening Day Presented by PNC Bank
- Magnetic Schedule Day: All fans in attendance receive Pirates 2013 Magnetic Schedule compliments of PNC Bank.
- Gate Time: PNC Park gates will open to ALL FANS at 11:30 a.m.
- McCutchen Awards: Last season, Pirates centerfielder Andrew McCutchen registered his second consecutive All-Star season and at the end of the campaign he was awarded the Rawlings Gold Glove and Louisville Silver Slugger. Today in a pregame ceremony, McCutchen will receive these awards on the field in front of the PNC Park crowd.
- Community Achiever Award: PNC Bank and Pirates Charities will present the PNC Community Achiever Award to COTRAIC (Council of Three Rivers American Indians Center) in a pregame ceremony. The organization provide high quality pre-kindergarten education for 3 and 4-year-olds at no cost to families, as well as provides services to Native American descendants in the greater Pittsburgh area.
- Sandy Hook Remembered: Today players from each team will be wearing ribbons on their jerseys in honor of those affected by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. All players, managers, coaches, umpires and on-field personnel will wear a symbolic ribbon patch, featuring the official seal of Newtown and a black ribbon and 26 stars, signifying one for each victim. Each team, along with fans will observe a pre-game moment of silence.
- Color Guard: Today the colors will be presented by a joint Military Color Guard.
- First Pitch: Jim Rohr, retiring Chairman and CEO of PNC Bank, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.
- National Anthem: The National Anthem will be performed by Noah Bendix-Balgley, a violinist and Concertmaster of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
- Wounded Warrior Recognition: A special guest of Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting today is United States Marine Corp Corporal Brandon Rumbaugh, a Wounded Warrior. While on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan, Rumbaugh’s unit came under enemy fire. While fleeing the area, his unit triggered an enemy IED, trapping one of his fellow soldiers underneath their truck. As Rumbaugh tried to free his friend, he inadvertently stepped onto another IED which exploded. Both he and his friend survived the explosion, but Rumbaugh spent the next 18 months in hospitals in Europe as well as Walter Reed Hospital in the United States. He is the first of many Wounded Warriors scheduled to be guests of the Pirates Chairman at PNC Park this season and will be on the field pregame during God Bless America.
Tuesday, April 2, 2013— Off Date
Wednesday, April 3, 2013—Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs (7:05 p.m.)
- Buc Night: The popular Buc Night, presented by Sugardale, is back at PNC Park as a limited number of $1 tickets in select sections were available for tonight’s game. Also at PNC Park general concession stands, all fans can enjoy Sugardale hot dogs and popcorn for just $1 each.
Thursday, April 4, 2013—Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs (12:35 p.m.)
- Lunch with the Bucs: Need to get out of the office? Do Lunch with the Bucs, sponsored by Trib Total Media. Infield Grandstand tickets are just $17 and come with $5 in loaded value (save $6) and Outfield Box seats are just $28 and have $10 in loaded value (save $10). Loaded Value is a credit on your ticket(s) that can be used during the game at concession and merchandise stands throughout PNC Park. For more information visit pirates.com/lunch.
Third Annual 5K Home Run & One Mile Family Fun Run
The third annual Pirates Charities 5K Home Run presented by ServiceLink will take place on Saturday, April 13. The morning event will take place on Pittsburgh’s North Shore, starting on Federal Street and finishing inside PNC Park. The race is open to fans of all ages and abilities with the top finishers from each category being recognized in a pre-game onfield ceremony before that night’s game. Families may also participate by taking part in the One Mile Family Fun Run. To register or obtain complete race details, fans can log onto pirates.com/5Khomerun.
Take The Fort to School
Beginning March 31, parents can enter online only for a chance to have Pirates catcher Michael McKenry visit their child’s school this school year. The “Take The Fort to School” program presented by Trib Total Media, is open to all residents in the greater Pittsburgh area. Parents are asked to enter for their children, and anyone submitting an entry must be at least 18 years old. For complete information, or to enter your child in the “Take The Fort to School” program presented by Trib Total Media visit pirates.com/TakeForttoSchool. Entries will be limited to one per person.
2013 Bucaroos Kids Club
The Bucaroos Kids Club is open to all kids ages 14 and younger. The club offers special member-only benefits and has two great membership options—one of which is free. Fans can visit pirates.com/bucaroos to learn more about the different membership options and how to earn free game ticket vouchers, great gear and access to our exclusive Rewards Program.
2013 Lady Bucs Club
Lady Pirates fans and their closest friends are invited to join the Lady Bucs Club. Experience Pirates baseball in an exciting new way as membership includes one (1) ticket to two (2) Lady Bucs party nights seating in the Baseline Box, membership card and access to each of the four (4) pregame Lady Bucs Club parties in the Pirates Picnic Park. Check out pirates.com/ladybucs for membership costs and a list of detailed benefits.
Fantasy Baseball Math Opening Day
Monday, April 8 marks opening day for Fantasy Baseball Math, presented by Pirates Charities, Chevron and Pirates GM Neal Huntington and his wife Becca, at selected Boys & Girls Club sites and schools within the Pittsburgh region. The program is a comprehensive curriculum-based program that teaches children math skills using baseball statistics. This program aligns with Common Core Standards for math and promotes higher order science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills in preparation for math-based careers. The April 8 Opening Day event marks the beginning of the students’ elimination-style tournaments which will culminate in a “World Series” at PNC Park on June 1.
MLB Jackie Robinson Day
On Monday, April 15 all players will be wearing number 42 jerseys in honor of Jackie Robinson, marking the 66th anniversary of the day when baseball’s color barrier was broken. One number 42 jersey from each club will be autographed by all of its players and coaches and auctioned on mlb.com with proceeds benefitting the Jackie Robinson Foundation. The Pirates will also recognize the winners of the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Jackie Robinson Art, Essay and Poetry contest with an on-field pregame ceremony.
Where’s the Parrot?
The Pirate Parrot is active in and around the community as an ambassador of the Pirates organization. Below are a few of the upcoming events he will be attending in the Greater Pittsburgh Area.
- On Saturday, April 6 he will be appearing at the Petersburg Little League Opening Day in Petersburg, WV from 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- On Sunday, April 7 he will be appearing at eh “Run or Walk for Someone Special” event in Sykesville, Pa from 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- On Thursday, April 11 he will be appearing at the Clarion University Pirates Day from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. To schedule your visit by the Pirate Parrot, please call (412) 325-4730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pepsi Max Packs
The Pepsi Max Pack returns for all Friday and Sunday games throughout the 2013 season. Each pack consists of one Outfield Box seat, one regular hot dog, one soft pretzel, and one regular Pepsi product, all for only $28. For more information on Pepsi Max Packs or to purchase tickets, visit pirates.com/pepsimax.
Social Media Nights
Join us for a party on the Deck! New for the 2013 season, the Pirates are expanding their popular Social Media Night events and the team has announced six dates throughout the season when fans can join in on the fun. Tickets for each night are just $20 and include $10 of loaded value to be used on merchandise throughout PNC Park. Tickets include a special invite to the pregame event with opportunities to meet Pirates players, win great prizes and more. For a complete listing of the 2013 Social Media Nights and to purchase tickets visit pirates.com/socialmedia.
Dynamic Pricing Section
New for 2013, the Pirates have expanded their dynamic pricing system to include both the Bleacher Reserve and Upper Bleacher Reserve sections of PNC Park. Tickets for the 2,400 seats, located in left field, will be placed on sale 10-days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted- both lower and higher- in real time, based on several factors. For the complete list of games and to find the on-sale dates, visit pirates.com/dynamic.
All You Can Eat Seats
The popular “All You Can Eat Seats” presented by Pepsi are again available for all Pirates 2013 home games and have been relocated to Cove area, sections 201 thru 205 at PNC Park. The new location offers great sight lines of the action as well as dedicated “All You Can Eat” concession stands. For just $42 fans can enjoy all the hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salads, popcorn, peanuts, ice cream and soda they can eat for one low price. For more information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/allyoucaneat.
Pup Nights at PNC
The 2013 season features eight Pup Nights at PNC Park sponsored by Rachel Ray Nutrish, with the first scheduled for Tuesday, April 16 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals. Each ticket package (1 person & 1 dog) costs just $25 with additional human tickets available for $25 each. A portion of the proceeds benefit local animal shelters and seats are limited and subject to availability. For complete information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/pups.
Beer Passport at PNC
Fans can take advantage of one of the most unique opportunities in sports as the Pirates introduce Beer Passport at PNC. There are seven nights scheduled throughout the 2013 season for this event starting with the Friday, April 19 game vs. the Atlanta Braves.
For just $48 fans will receive:
- An exclusive Pittsburgh Baseball Club ticket (regularly priced at $52)
- A $5 loaded value on their game ticket good for food, drinks or merchandise inside PNC Park
- An invitation to a 90-minute pregame beer sampling of local craft beers in the Club 3000 area that begins when gates open at 5:30 p.m.
For a complete schedule of nights and more information fans can visit pirates.com/beerpassport.
*Available through advance purchases only and subject to availability.
**Must be 21 years or older to participate in the beer sampling - proper identification required.
Pirates Season Ticket Plans
Full Season, 41-game, 20-game and 10-game season ticket plans are available for the 2013 season. Full and partial-season ticket plans feature exclusive benefits including guaranteed seats for the biggest games, discounted ticket prices, invitations to special season ticket holder events featuring Pirates players and executives, plus much more. For more information regarding purchasing a season ticket plan, call 1-800-BUY-BUCS or visit pirates.com/tickets.
2013 Fan Values
- The Pirates are pleased to offer special ticket prices for all 81 home games for kids ages 14 and younger in select sections of PNC Park. Save up to $8 on kid’s single game tickets, visit pirates.com/tickets for more details.
- Every Sunday home game is a Giant Eagle Advantage Card game as fans can save up to $10 on select tickets to every Sunday home game, visit pirates.com/advantagecard for complete details.
- Many games throughout the 2013 season are PNC Bank Check Card games as fans can save up to $10 on all Friday and weekday matinee games (excluding Opening Day), visit pirates.com/pnccheckcard for complete details.
For a complete list of the 2013 Pirates promotions and special events, visit pirates.com/promotions.