Red Sox Press Release
RI Red Sox Scholarship recipients to be introduced at Fenway Park today
Red Sox Foundation to Present 20 Rhode Island Public School Seniors with $1,000 College Scholarships During Rhode Island Day at Fenway Park
The Boston Red Sox will introduce the 20 recipients of the Rhode Island Red Sox Scholarship program during a pre-game ceremony at Fenway Park before the Red Sox-Toronto game today, Saturday, May 11. The program awards students from 20 public high schools across Rhode Island with $1,000 scholarships towards their college education.
This year's scholarship program, which was introduced in 2012 by Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee and Red Sox Principal Owner John W. Henry and his wife Linda Pizzuti Henry, has been expanded from 10 qualifying Rhode Island public schools in its inaugural year to 20 in 2013. One student from each of the 20 high schools is chosen for the award based on academic performance, financial aid eligibility, and most importantly, demonstrated community service.
"We are pleased that this year we will be recognizing even more deserving Rhode Island students with the expansion of the scholarship program," said Linda Pizzuti Henry. "These 20 college-bound students have not only demonstrated their excellence in the classroom, they have also done so in the community. We look forward to honoring them for their achievements, and for the example they set for others with their service in their communities."
This year's Rhode Island Red Sox Scholarship Award recipients include:
- Titilope Bankole, Hope High School
- Harriette Beah, Mt. Pleasant High School
- Derek Bell, Woonsocket High School
- Gabrielle English, Portsmouth High School
- Victoria Ferraro, Chariho Regional High School
- Brianna Florio, Pilgrim High School
- Jessica Fournier, North Kingstown High School
- Lindsay Gagne, Coventry High School
- John Hindley, Smithfield High School
- Katherine Mitchell, Rogers High School
- Isabel Newton, East Providence High School
- Adriana Pagano, Cranston High School East
- Rachel Pimentel, Tiverton High School
- Bryan Quinlan, Charles E. Shea High School
- Lindsay Ratcliffe, Cranston High School West
- Bethanie Royality-Lindman, South Kingstown High School
- Lesdin Salazar, Central Falls High School
- Jameel Sylvia, Mt. Hope High School
- Nisa Villareal, Johnston Senior High School
- Monique Walmsley, Westerly High School
In addition to celebrating the accomplishments of the 20 Rhode Island scholarship recipients, the Red Sox will also celebrate the Ocean State during Saturday's game, which has been designated Rhode Island Day at Fenway Park.