Pirates Press Release
Pirates Homestand Highlights Friday, June 28 thru Thursday, July 4, 2013
Postgame Fireworks and Independence Day Highlight Pirates Seventh Homestand
The Pirates return to PNC Park from a nine-game road trip that included a visit to the west coast for interleague action against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Seattle Mariners. The Pirates welcome the Milwaukee Brewers for a weekend series followed by a visit from the Philadelphia Phillies. The six-game homestand will be highlighted by Zambelli postgame fireworks on Saturday, June 29 and Military Appreciation Day on Thursday, July 4.
Friday, June 28, 2013--Pirates vs. Milwaukee Brewers (7:05 p.m.)
- GI Jones in the Community: Today from 11 a.m. to Noon, Garrett Jones will be greeting fans and signing autographs at the T-Mobile store located at 5996 Penn Circle South, Pittsburgh, PA 15206.
- Disabilities Awareness Celebration: The Pirates would like to invite fans to PNC Park as they bring people with all types of disabilities together for a Disability Awareness Celebration. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. on Federal Street, there will be a pregame fair with various vendors, service agencies, and more. For complete information and to order tickets contact Chaz Kellem at Chaz.Kellem@pirates.com or by phone at (412) 325-4731.
- Friday Block Party: Tonight is another Friday Budweiser Block Party on Federal Street. Fans will enjoy live music featuring Abacus Jones and can party on the street with food & beer sales. Pirates alumni John Candelaria will be the special guest bartender at the Budweiser Bar located on Federal Street.
- Free Shirt Friday: The Pirates popular Free Shirt Friday continues as all fans, with paid admission, will receive a free Pirates tee courtesy of AAA Auto Insurance.
- Tribute for Heroes: Ben Kiernan and Brandon Rumbaugh of the United States Marines and Jeffrey Mittman of the United States Army are the three Pirates finalists for MLB and People magazine's "Tribute for Heroes" campaign, which is a national initiative that recognizes and salutes veterans and military service members. Thousands of incredible nominees have been narrowed down to just three heroes for each MLB team. The candidate with the most votes at the end of voting period will have a chance to attend and be recognized at the 2013 MLB All-Star Game at Citi Field in New York City. For complete information and to vote for the Pirates "Tribute for Heroes" nominees go to TributeforHeroes.com, voting ends Sunday, June 30.
- Moment of Silence: The Pirates will hold a moment of silence prior to tonight¡¦s game to honor the memories of two Pirates Alumni who passed away last week- Gene Freese and Danny Kravitz.
- Check Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, tonight is a PNC Bank Check Card game. Fans can save up to $10 on tickets for select games throughout the season simply by using a PNC Bank Check Card. For complete details, visit pirates.com/pnccheckcard.
Saturday, June 29, 2013 - Pirates vs. Milwaukee Brewers (7:15 p.m.)
- Hunt Autograph and Memorabilia Show: The Celebration of the Pittsburgh Pirates Autograph and Memorabilia Show, presented by Hunt Auctions will take place today form 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Pittsburgh Marriot City Center Ballroom. Please see below for a list of Pirates players and alumni scheduled to appear. Admission is free and for signing schedule, pricing and to order autograph tickets visit Huntauctions.com/store.
- Melancon in the Community: Today Mark Melancon will greet fans and sign autographs from 11 a.m. to Noon at the Southside Giant Eagle GetGo, located at 3247 East Carson Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203.
- Miracle League Fantasy Camp: Today from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Pirates players and coaches will take part in a fantasy baseball camp for more than 40 Miracle League players at the Bill Mazeroski Miracle League Field at the Murrysville Community Park. The participants will rotate thru five stations and each player will learn fundamentals from a member of the Pirates staff. Each participant will receive a personalized Pirates jersey along with a Pirates cap and goodie bag.
- Pitch, Hit and Run: A group of 24 kids, ages 7 to 14, will be participating in the Pittsburgh Pirates Championship of the 2013 MLB Pitch, Hit & Run (PHR) program presented by Scotts today at PNC Park. The top three scores in each age and gender group out of all 30 MLB Team Championships will advance to the PHR National Finals held at Citi Field during MLB All-Star Week. The program is the "Official Youth Skills Competition of Major League Baseball" with more than 600,000 kids participating across North America in 2013 in girls' softball and boys' baseball divisions. Pitch, Hit & Run (PHR) provides youth with the opportunity to demonstrate their skills and advance through four levels of competition, beginning at the local level. Over 4,000 local competitions take place each year, hosted by organizations, leagues, or volunteers within a community. All 30 MLB Clubs are hosting team championships at their ballparks on weekends through June 30th. This is the 17th year MLB has run a youth skills program. More information about the program is available online at www.MLB.com/PHR.
- Postgame Fireworks: Fans are encouraged to stay in their seats immediately following the game and enjoy an amazing fireworks display by Zambelli Fireworks International, presented by Duquesne Light.
- Scratch and Win: Everyone is a winner with the special Scratch 'n Win presented by Eat 'n Park. All fans will receive a scratch-off ticket upon entering PNC Park with an opportunity to win one of several great prizes.
Sunday, June 30, 2013--Pirates vs. Milwaukee Brewers (1:35 p.m.) Kids Day
- Pitch for Hope: Today the Pirates will host a SOLD OUT "Pitch for Hope" Women¡¦s Baseball Clinic beginning at 8 a.m. on the field at PNC Park. The event is being sponsored by Highmark and Rue 21. Women ages 14 and older will take part in the clinic where they will have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of pitching, hitting and fielding from Pirates coaches. In addition, participants receive a brunch on the Pirates Deck, a ticket to today's game and a complimentary commemorative t-shirt as proceeds from the event will benefit A Glimmer of Hope and the AGH Breast Center. For more information about the event, visit pirates.com/pitchforhope.
- Kids Day: Come down early and join the fun as the #1 Cochran Family Fun Zone will be open on Federal Street from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Lined up outside PNC Park will be inflatable rides, face painting, information about the Bucaroos Kids Club and more.
- Kids Drawstring Backpack: All kids 14 and younger with paid admission receive a drawstring backpack, presented By MLB Network/Xfinity.
- Kids Run the Bases: Kids attending today¡¦s game are invited to stick around after to run the bases on the field at PNC Park.
- Advantage Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, today is a Giant Eagle Advantage Card game. Fans can save up to $10 on select tickets for every Sunday home game. For complete details, visit pirates.com/advantagecard.
- Karstens Kares: Tonight from 6 to 9 p.m., Jeff Karstens and his wife, Jessica will host "Karstens Kares" at Nakama--Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar. Jeff, Jessica and other Pirates celebrities will Cook for a Cause to raise money for Pirates Charities and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The event in sold out, but there will be an outdoor block party on 17th Street with food, beverages and live entertainment.
Monday, July 1, 2013--Off Day
Tuesday, July 2, 2013--Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies (7:05 p.m.)
- Miracle League Event: Today the Pirates and Pirates Charities will take part in a special ceremony announcing a partnership with the Miracle League of Indiana, Pa to construct a new Miracle League Field. Funds from the Pirates Charities on ROOT SPORTS Auction to take place on July 9 will be utilized to help fund the new Miracle League project in Indiana County. The ceremony will take place at 10:30 a.m. at the YMCA of Indiana County, 60 N. Ben Franklin Road, Indiana, PA 15701.
Wednesday, July 3, 2013--Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies (7:05 p.m.)
Thursday, July 4, 2013--Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies (1:35 p.m.) Independence Day
- Military Appreciation Day: Thousands of FREE tickets were distributed to veterans and active military personnel as part of the Pirates and GovX Military Appreciation Day ticket program. All active duty military personnel and veterans were given the opportunity to request up to four tickets per military I.D. in advance of today's game.
- Stars and Stripes Caps: All players will wear special stars and stripes caps for today¡¦s game in honor of Independence Day.
- Wounded Warrior Donation: PNC Bank and Pirates Charities will present the PNC Community Achiever Award and a $5,000 grant to the Wounded Warrior Project in a pregame ceremony. The organization's mission is to provide unique, direct programs and services to meet the needs of injured service members.
- First Pitch: A Member of the Wounded Warriors Project, Army Sargent Jeffery Cole will throw a ceremonial first pitch. Sgt. Cole was wounded in battle while serving as his vehicles gunner near Baghdad in 2004.
- Color Guard: Today¡¦s colors will be presented by the United States Air Force.
- Flag on Display: An American flag used on-field in the pregame ceremony today at PNC Park will be presented to the Pirates "Tribute for Heroes" honoree in a pregame ceremony at the MLB All-Star Game on July 16, 2013.
- Vote Pirates: Online voting for the 2013 All Star Game in New York City ends today. Fans have until 11:59 p.m. to vote 35 times for their favorite Pirates and take advantage of extra incentives and offers just for voting. For complete details, visit pirates.com/vote.
The Pirates are proud to again partner with ROOT SPORTS to host the Pirates Charities on ROOT SPORTS Auction at PNC Park in the Hall of Fame Club on Tuesday, July 9 when the team plays the Oakland Athletics at 7:05 p.m. The doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the telecast begins at 6:30 p.m. Fans can bid on unique auction items in person or over the phone by calling (412) 325-4888 starting at 5:30 p.m. Fans will also have the opportunity to purchase VIP and VIP-PLUS bags for $125 and
$550, respectively. Each bag will include an autographed baseball, Pirates baseball tickets, and an assortment of goodies including Pirates merchandise. The VIP-PLUS bags will also include an authentic game jersey autographed by a current Pirates player of your choice. Proceeds from the auction will be used to support Pirates Charities ongoing support of Miracle League programs throughout the areas in which the Pirates have a presence.
Stand Up 2 Cancer
The Pirates and Pirates Charities will host Stand Up 2 Cancer Night at PNC Park on Friday, August 16 vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks. Ticket packages for the promotion are $40 with $10 from every package sold going directly to the Stand Up 2 Cancer fund. Participants will be seated in the Bleacher Reserved section of PNC Park and at a designated time during the game will have the opportunity to stand up in support of a loved one affected by cancer. Ticket packages include: one ticket
in the Stand Up 2 Cancer section, a complimentary Stand Up 2 Cancer cap, entry into the "Stand Up 2 Cancer with the Pirates" raffle and more. To order tickets for the Pirates Stand up to Cancer Night at PNC Park, visit pirates.com/SU2C or call Chaz Kellem with the Pirates at (412) 325-4731.
Pirates Charities 50/50 Raffles New for the 2013 season are the Pirates Charities 50/50 Raffles. The 50/50 Raffles will take place during each Pirates home game throughout the season. Raffle ticket prices are three (3) tickets for $5, 10 tickets for $10 and 40 tickets for $20 with all proceeds benefiting Pirates Charities. Raffle ticket sales close after the last out in the sixth inning. The winning number will
be drawn and announced in the 8th inning and the winner will receive 50 percent of the total pot. Winning numbers will also be posted on www.pirates.com/5050raffle within three business days.
Wins for Kids During the 2013 season, Pirates Charities is again partnering with manager Clint Hurdle, his wife Karla and ROOT SPORTS to present the Wins for Kids fundraising campaign. The campaign encourages fans to donate a dollar amount for every Pirates win during the season or make a one-time donation to the program. All funds raised will benefit Pirates Charities and the Children's Institute of Pittsburgh's Prader-Willi Syndrome Program. For more information about the Wins for Kids and to learn how to make a donation, visit pirates.com/winsforkids.
The Hunt Auctions kiosk, specializing in sports memorabilia, including game-used and authenticated items, is located behind section 125 on the main concourse at PNC Park. Unique items are available each homestand and fans will have the opportunity to purchase items at the kiosk or at pirates.com/authentics. This homestand features:
- Game-used bases from the three-game series against the Philadelphia Phillies at PNC Park on July 2 thru 4.
Tuesday, July 30 is the 10th annual Library Night at PNC Park. Children between the ages of five and 18 can enter to win a chance to deliver the line-up card prior to the start of the game or change a base in the 3rd or 6th inning of the game. Also the library with the most members in attendance will receive a special appearance by a member of the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates during the month of August. Tickets start as low as $11 and the deadline to order is Friday, June 28. For more information and to purchase tickets contact Angela Criscella at 412-325-4798 or by email at Angela.Criscella@pirates.com.
Cruise for a Cure
On Friday, July 19 and Saturday, July 20, the Pirate Parrot invites fellow motorcycle riders to join him for his "Weekend Cruise to Cure Prostate Cancer" to benefit the Western PA Prostate Cancer Foundation. Interested riders will travel with the Pirate Parrot to Cincinnati for the Reds vs. Pirates game at Great American Ball Park on July 19. Participants will receive a Pirates Cruise to Cure Prostate Cancer T-Shirt and a game ticket. The Charity bike ride is in partnership with Pirates Charities and Mosites Motorsports with all proceeds benefiting the Western Pennsylvania Prostate Cancer Foundation. For complete information about the Cruise for a Cure and to find out how to donate, visit pirates.com/cruise.
2013 Bucaroos Kids Club
The Bucaroos Kids Club is open to all kids ages 14 and younger. The club offers special member-only benefits and has two great membership options--one of which is free. Fans can visit pirates.com/bucaroos to learn more about the different membership options and how to earn free game ticket vouchers, great gear and access to our exclusive Rewards Program.
Dynamic Pricing Section
New for 2013, the Pirates have expanded their dynamic pricing system to include both the Bleacher Reserve and Upper Bleacher Reserve sections of PNC Park. Tickets for the 2,400 seats, located in left field, will be placed on sale 10-days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted- both lower and higher- in real time, based on several
factors. As of June 27, this homestand features $10 Upper Bleacher Reserved tickets for the entire Phillies series from July 2 thru 4. For the complete list of games and to find the on-sale dates, visit pirates.com/dynamic.
Pirates Season Ticket Plans
Pro-rated Full Season and 10-game ticket plans are available for the 2013 season. Full and partial-season ticket plans feature exclusive benefits including guaranteed seats for the biggest games, discounted ticket prices, invitations to special season ticket holder events featuring Pirates players and executives, plus much more. For more information regarding purchasing a season ticket plan, call 1-800-BUY-BUCS or visit pirates.com/tickets.
Where's the Parrot?
The Pirate Parrot is active in and around the community as an ambassador of the Pirates organization. Below are a few of the upcoming events he will be attending in the Greater Pittsburgh Area.
- The Parrot and Pierogies will attend the Miracle League Fantasy Camp on Saturday, June 29 from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Bill Mazeroski Miracle League Field in Murrysville.
- The Parrot will make an appearance at the Ron Ferrell Memorial Baseball Classic in Toronto, OH on Saturday, June 29 from 2:30 to 4 p.m. To schedule your visit by the Pirate Parrot, please call (412) 325-4730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Fan Values
- The Pirates are pleased to offer special ticket prices for all remaining home games for kids ages 14 and younger in select sections of PNC Park. Save up to $8 on kid¡¦s single game tickets, visit pirates.com/tickets for more details.
- The All You Can Eat seats presented by Pepsi are back at PNC Park. For just $42 fans can enjoy all the hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salads, popcorn, peanuts, ice cream and soda they can eat for one low price. For more information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/allyoucaneat.
- The Pepsi Max Pack returns for all Friday and Sunday games throughout the 2013 season. Each pack consists of one Outfield Box seat, one regular hot dog, one soft pretzel, and one regular Pepsi product, all for only $28. For more information on Pepsi Max Packs or to purchase tickets, visit pirates.com/pepsimax. For a complete list of the 2013 Pirates promotions and special events, visit pirates.com/promotions.