SAN DIEGO -- When Padres first baseman/outfielder Kyle Blanks landed on the disabled list on July 12 with tendinitis in his left Achilles, he never envisioned the injury would linger this long.
More than a month later, Blanks feels like he's making inroads toward getting back on the field again.
"I just want to be healthy, contribute and play again," Blanks said Friday.
Blanks ran on a treadmill for the second time in as many days and also shagged fly balls in the outfield before the game against the Mets, though only at "probably 40 percent," he said.
Blanks, who was hitting .256 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 219 at-bats, hasn't played in a game since July 11. He's not sure when he'll be able to come back. The Minor League regular season for the Padres' affiliates ends the first week of September.
For now, though, his only concern is his health.
"It felt pretty good yesterday, and that's a good sign," Blanks said. "It was a step in the right direction. If this pace keeps up, hopefully it's [return] sooner than later."
Quentin may be done for season
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres have plotted a clear course of action for left fielder Carlos Quentin, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right knee.
They will allow him to mostly rest his knee for a period not to exceed 10 days before seeing if he'll be able to resume playing. If not, the Padres will shut him down for the rest of the season.
"This is to see if his knee responds to rest," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Quentin, who hasn't played since July 30, visited the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles on Thursday.
"They had the same findings the team doctors did," Black said.
Quentin was hitting .273/.363/.493 in 82 games with 13 home runs and 45 RBIs when he landed on the disabled list on Aug. 10, retroactive to July 31. He ran last weekend in Cincinnati but was sore thereafter.
That's when the team essentially curtails his workout regimen.
Black was asked if Quentin -- who has surgery in October on his right knee and was slowed in Spring Training as he recovered -- could potentially need surgery again.
"It hasn't been discussed in earnest," Black said.
Quentin appeared in 86 games last season and has played in 82 games so far this season. He's signed a three-year, $27 million deal that includes a no-trade clause in July of last season.
The Padres will give rookie Jaff Decker a long look in left field with Quentin out. Decker has started four games in the past week. Jesus Guzman got the start Friday.
The team also figures to take a look at outfielder Reymond Fuentes after the rosters can expand from 25 to 40 players on Sept. 1. Fuentes is hitting a combined .325 this season with Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson.
Robinson relishes first big league stint
SAN DIEGO -- There's no telling how long catcher Chris Robinson will be with the Padres, as he joined the team Thursday to fill in for Nick Hundley, who went on paternity leave after Wednesday's game.
But Robinson, 29, doesn't seem to mind. After spending nine seasons in the Minor Leagues, he is beyond excited to be happy to be a part of a Major League team.
"It's been surreal," Robinson said before Friday's game against the Mets. "After playing nine seasons in the Minor Leagues, it was pretty satisfying to get here."
Robinson was promoted from Triple-A Tucson on Thursday, though his plane didn't land in San Diego until 3:30 p.m. PT. He arrived at Petco Park around 4 p.m. and dressed quickly for batting practice. He did not appear in Thursday's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
Robinson, a native of London, Ontario, was hitting .298 in 29 games with Tucson with 12 RBIs. He was acquired from the Orioles for cash considerations on June 20.
He said his biggest thrill came when he was able to phone his family to tell them the news that he had been promoted.
"Mom and Dad ... I've been waiting nine years to make that call," said Robinson, who is playing for his fourth organization.