7/31/2013 7:59 P.M. ET
Tigers expect Garcia to thrive on South Side
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com
CLEVELAND -- When Dave Dombrowski contemplated giving up Avisail Garcia to the White Sox as part of Tuesday's three-way trade also involving Boston, one thought concerning the talented outfielder crossed the mind of the Tigers' president, CEO and general manager.
"Basically, I don't want to see Avisail Garcia play against us 18, 19 times a year for the next 10 years," said Dombrowski, during his interview after the Tigers acquired shortstop Jose Iglesias, Boston picked up Jake Peavy and the White Sox added Garcia and three lower-level prospects from Boston.
Detroit didn't want to trade a player of Garcia's ability, described as a five-tool talent by White Sox general manager Rick Hahn. But to get a valuable player to assist their postseason push, the Tigers had to give up something valuable.
And while the Tigers understand the future potential high-level contributions from the 22-year-old outfielder, they aren't worried about facing him as much as they are happy for the young man to get what figures to be a big league opportunity very soon.
"I'm thrilled for that kid. He's a great kid. He's got huge upside," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland of Garcia. "I'm happy for him. If we're not good enough to get [him] out, shame on us."
"They'll probably bring him up to the big leagues right away, and he has a chance to play every day," Tigers right fielder Torii Hunter said. "I think he'll be good. In Chicago, he's going to hit a lot of home runs. He's powerful, and that place is going to be good for him."
Hahn mentioned that Garcia will play center field for Triple-A Charlotte in the near future. But he certainly could be receiving consistent big league at-bats before the Sept. 1 roster expansion.
"He's a young kid. He just turned 22," Hahn said. "He's not going to be harmed by a little more time in Charlotte as we get to know him and his capabilities on a firsthand basis. But I'm pretty confident we're going to see him for a number of ABs here in Chicago before the season gets out."
Rios stays on South Side, focused on baseball
CLEVELAND -- The clock struck 4:01 p.m. ET in the visitors' clubhouse at Progressive Field on Wednesday, and right fielder Alex Rios was still with the White Sox. Despite fouling a ball off his left foot in Tuesday's loss, and sustaining a contusion, he was back in the lineup hitting third.
Rumored interest for Rios involved the Yankees and the Pirates. In the end, Rios stayed where he has been since 2009.
"Now, there's not going to be too much trade talks, and I think it's going to be just time to play ball," Rios said. "You have to wait until the end. The last couple of hours are the most active hours of the Deadline. So I just had to wait it out."
Rios' $12.5 million salary is part of the approximately $59 million the White Sox currently have committed to 2014 payroll, not factoring in arbitration-eligible players. The White Sox still could move him in an August waiver-wire deal, he could be traded in the offseason or he could be a part of the team's refocusing project moving forward.
As the veteran said, though, the worry now simply falls upon baseball.
"I don't know how deep they are going to go into whatever they want to do," Rios said. "But as of right now, I'm part of the team and I'm going to do everything possible to win games and to do well. That's how I feel."
White Sox begin life without Peavy's leadership
CLEVELAND -- Jake Peavy stopped by the White Sox clubhouse Wednesday afternoon, packed up his stuff and said his final goodbyes. Adam Dunn tweeted earlier in the day that he lost his wing man, but was happy for Peavy's chance to win a World Series title.
Dunn shared that same thought prior to Wednesday's contest with the Indians.
"His time here wasn't what he wanted, wasn't what any of us wanted," Dunn said. "You got to be happy for him. He's going to a place where he has a chance to do some pretty cool things this year."
Peavy's departure takes away a top-of-the-rotation hurler for the White Sox. They also lose a leader among the pitchers and the clubhouse in general.
"You lose the good teammate," Dunn said. "You lose the guy that's going to keep you in every game pretty much every fifth day, and he's just a solid dude that teams need. Teams need guys like that."
"It's going to be tough," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura of life without Peavy. "He's done a lot here as far as not only going [out there] but just what it takes to go out and pitch and do all those things. As a veteran, just understanding what his role is. Helping younger guys, he was great at it."
Hahn concedes last-minute deal falls through
CLEVELAND -- During an 18-day period in July, the White Sox moved Matt Thornton to Boston, Jesse Crain to the Rays and then Jake Peavy to the Red Sox leading up to Wednesday's 3 p.m. CT non-waiver Trade Deadline.
But during a conference call on Wednesday, White Sox general manager Rick Hahn hinted that one other move existed in the near-miss category.
"We actually got a text message at 2:15 this afternoon on a different approach to something we talked about a while back," Hahn said. "For about 35 minutes or so, right up until about five or 10 minutes before the Deadline, it looked like it had legs to the point where I even updated [White Sox chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf]. It looked like there was a chance of something happening, but in the end we couldn't quite get to an agreement."
Hahn did not specifically address the player at the core of the conversation, keeping with his policy throughout the process leading up to the Deadline. Right fielder Alex Rios, shortstop Alexei Ramirez and right-hander reliever Matt Lindstrom all received interest from other teams but ultimately stayed with the White Sox.
Wednesday's trade fell through when the asking team wanted something a little different right at the end that the White Sox weren't prepared to do, according to Hahn.
"Yes, we had a lot of conversations today and that one right there at the end probably came closest to something happening, but in the end it just didn't make sense for us to do it," Hahn said. "One important thing to keep in mind, we've seen it in recent history, not only with us in making deals after Aug. 1 but even last year with the mammoth deal between the Red Sox and Dodgers, just because the Deadline passes doesn't mean there won't be further deals.
"It just means the opportunities that presented themselves now didn't make sense from a baseball standpoint to close on," Hahn added.
Third to first
• Hahn explained Wednesday that the $4 million buyout from a previous Jake Peavy contract was not part of the money owed to him as part of Tuesday's deal with the Red Sox.
"We did not send any money in the deal," Hahn said. "There was a $4 million buyout in his new contract. Since we renegotiated the old contract and signed him to an extension, that $4 million became deferred into the future in four $1 million payments.
"That was earned at the time of the contract and that's the obligation of the Chicago White Sox because that's like a signing bonus. He's already earned that money, but in terms of his annual salaries, no cash went with that to Boston."
• Outfielder Jordan Danks took Peavy's roster spot prior to Wednesday's game in Cleveland, arriving from Charlotte and marking his third stint with the White Sox this season.
"I'm expecting the same, but we'll just see what happens," said Danks of his role. "I really haven't been told anything. [They] said, 'Pack your bags, come up.' Really just kind of excited to be back."
• The White Sox experienced their 28th loss after leading despite holding a 3-0 advantage after two and a 4-3 lead after seven in Tuesday's 7-4 setback.